Sometimes on the computer shutdown you can see the following error message:
“Rundll32.exe – DLL Initialization failed. The application failed to initialize because the window station is shutting down”.
And then the system turns normally off. This error can slow down the shutdown process, but you will seу no other symptoms of this error. The performance speed is normal and your antivirus cannot find any serious threat that can possibly be on your computer.
So, firstly we should explain you what the Rundll32.exe is. Rundll32.exe is the system file that is used for the launch Dll files. The normal location of this file is in C:\Windows\System32 folder. If you will find any other file with such a name in any other folder, then you can surely delete it, because it is a virus. Sometimes this error message can appear because of the corruption of Rundll32.exe file, so then you should replace it. Open Command Prompt and type sfc/scannow and press enter. This procedure can restore this file. If not, then the problem can have the hardware cause. Sometimes bad memory can be the reason of the Rundll32.exe Shutdown Error. You can simply check it, just look into Event Viewer:
1. Open Control Panel pressing Windows button and R simultaneously.
2. Find Admin Tools.
3. Select Event Viewer and look into the System and Application Logs. If you can find memory or Read errors there or Microsoft Link reports that you have no errors at all, so the reason of Rundll32.exe Shutdown Error is in hardware, for example you can have memory Block. Use the following instructions to fix this problem:
1. Open My Computer, then open C disk and create a new folder with РОЕ name.
2. Extract HijackThis program in this folder that you’ve just created.
3. Run HijackThis from this folder and put a tick near results that look like following. Click “Fix checked“. This action creates a new backup file that you will be able to use if the restoration is needed.
F2 – REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\System32\Userinit.exe
O4 – HKCU\..\RunServices: [Image] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\image.dll,Install
4. Then you can download CWShredder program and run it in Safe Mode. Click “Fix” button and let it repair everything.
5. Then you should close all the windows and run HijackThis program (download it if you have not it).
6. Then you should look through the log files and rut a tick into the check-boxes enumerated below. And click “Fix checked” button.
More possible that you have a virus, then after all these steps you will be able to delete the rest of its malicious files. You can use True Sword or Stronghold Antivirus. But it is not obligatory to use exactly these programs, you may use any other you like, but remember that they should be updated. You also can use several programs one by one, but for the best scanning results you should do it in Safe Mode.